Children and Families
Klara’s Children’s Center
- What is this for? Children who are lagging behind peers on developmental milestones such as walking and talking. Have a medical diagnosis associated with developmental problems.
- Community Resources: parent support groups, child care watch, health care providers
- Child Resources: provide at-home care**, specialists, speech pathologists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, dietitians, vision and hearing specialists, social workers, behavior specialists, licensed professional counselors, and a nurse.
- Screening, intake, evaluation, treatment planning, and service coordination are at no cost to families
- Families with Medicaid have no cost for services
- **Clients who want in-home care during Covid-19 may choose to receive telehealth services in place of at home care. If at home care is desired, providers will wear gloves, masks, and take the necessary precautions during visit.
- Child must be birth – 33 and a half months old to receive services
- Must live in Bosque, Hill, McLennan, Falls, Limestone, or Freestone counties
- 324 S. 4th St. P.O. Box 890 Waco, Texas, 76701-0890
- (254) 297-7089
The Salvation Army – Sally’s House
- Emergency shelter: for women and women with children
- Case Management
- 524 S. 4th St. Waco, Texas 76706
- Provide a one-time, in a 12-month period, $1,000 cash assistance for families in crisis
- Monthly cash assistance due to crisis
- Amount of money given depends on family size
- Must have children 18 or younger in the home
- Must have birth certificate and Social Security number for each person in the household
- Crises include losing a job, losing a home, or a medical emergency OR having no other way to get money
- Can Apply at Caritas (typically 45 day processing time)
- 300 S. 15th. St. Waco, Texas 76701
CPS – Family – Based Safety Services
- Day care, parenting skills, budgeting skills, therapy, and others.
- 254-756-5571, 8am – 5pm M-F
- 801 Austin Ave. Waco, Texas 76701
- Program Director Sandra Gladden: cell: 254-717-8562
- Hotline 1800 252-5400
- Children must be under the age of 3 years old and mother must have full legal custody to receive services
- Guesthouse- for pregnant women facing homelessness
- Call for an initial phone interview to assess eligibility. Any questions or concerns about a place to stay, please call 254-772-8270
- Parenting classes, child management classes, physical material assistance depending on need
- **Classes are provided online via Zoom due to Covid-19, or in person.
- Class schedule can be obtained by emailing -Sroberts@pregnancycare.org
- Se habla espanol
- Spanish classes and translation available
- 800 W. Waco Dr., Waco, TX 76701
- Phone: 254-772-8270
Waco Family Abuse Center
- Offers a free, safe and confidential place for individuals or adults with children to begin to experience life without violence. Our professional staff listen, advocate and provide moral support to all those seeking our services. We offer counseling, limited transportation help, job and life skills education, and legal advocacy, court accompaniment.
- You don’t need to be a resident of the Family Abuse Center to take advantage
- Rural Services
- We cover 8 counties
- Case management, counseling services, children’s counseling, support groups, legal advocacy
- Children’s Services
- Case management, counseling services, evening activity groups, educational arrangements, and preventative services
- Adult Services
- Shelter: A 24-hour emergency shelter for all victims of domestic violence. 3 meals per day, and direct access to all of our general services.
- Housing Assistance for Domestic Violence Victims
- Limited housing assistance, must have been a resident AT the Family Abuse Center shelter facility for 2 weeks.
- Se habla Espanol
- Service animals are accepted, no pets are allowed.
- 24-hour hotline at 1-800-283-8401. Please call for information on current capacity during COVID
- Visit https://www.familyabusecenter.org/ for more information
- Therapetutic nurture center for infants and children from 8 weeks to 5 years old who have expereinced trauma and extreme stress and/or poverty in their life.
- Programs include:
- Mental Health Therapeutic Nursery
- Early Childhood Curriculum
- Parenting Program
- Mentoring Program
- As of 9/14/21, there is a wait list to get into the program; please fill out an admissions request on their website.
- 1311 Clay Ave. Waco, TX 76706
- Mon-Fri 8-3:30pm
TX Childcare Availability Portal
- An online program that allows you to search for licensed childcare centers in your area.
- Access to a computer or cell phone
Workforce Solutions Child Care Financial Assistance
- Financial aid for child care provided through local Workforce Solutions.
- Have to complete the Standard Child Care Eligibility Screening and Application
- For families of children under the age of 13 who need child care, are looking for a job, work 25 hours a week, and/or enrolled in school or training.
- Parents who need child care in order to look for work are eligible for 90 days of child care.
- Complete theService Industry Worker Child Care Application if you work in one of the following industries: arts, entertainment and recreation; accommodation and food services; or retail trade. Parents working in one of these Service Industries may be eligible for a full year of child care with no parent fee.
If you find any of this information is incorrect, please email LoveOthers@tricitiesministires.com
Updated and Verified on 9/30/21